Title: A Thin Thread
Pairing: Gabriel/Sam, Dean/Castiel(/Benny)
Genre/Tropes: soul bond
Warnings/Spoilers: Season 7 and Benny for season 8
Summary: Stuck in Purgatory after his death, Gabriel discovers he still has a connection to the world of the living - Sam Winchester. After Purgatory, the most boring and unchanging place next to Heaven gets turned on its head by the stunts pulled by Castiel, he decides it's time to get out and he needs Sam's help to do it.
Link to fic: to be posted
Pairing (if any): Gabriel/Balthazar
Word count: 32, 368
Warnings/Spoilers: Sexual content and swearing.
Summary: Gabriel Novak counts on his luck to get him through all the hard roads, and it’s never failed him yet. He manages to get out of Dodge quick enough to put his past behind him, and for a while, lives in England with relative peace. Then the war swings around, and Gabriel’s in the midst of the fighting, the marching, the bloodshed and the dead, and he starts to think that, maybe, being lucky isn’t the great gift he thought it’d be.
Link to fic: masterpost
Link to art: Art
Title: Broken Mirrors
Author: velocitym1 AKA: Litra on AO3
Pairing (if any): Gabriel / Sam
Genre/Tropes Hurt / Comfort, Fix-it
Word count: 26,300
Warnings/Spoilers: Set during the gap between season 7 and season 8 so mild spoilers for anything prior to that. I was serious about the hurt / comfort thing. Minor dub-con if you count emotional distress.
Gabriel has been stuck in that DVD the whole time and it isn’t until Sam watches through to the end that he escapes. Only by then Sam is all alone, with Dean and Cas fallen victim to exploding Dick, He breaks down. Gabriel knows about loss, and knows that being alone is one of the worst things in the world when you really need a shoulder to cry on. Healing is rarely easy and never fast.
Link to fic: This fic has been posted on AO3
Link to art:
captain_d_leet created an amazing 7 pieces of art which can be viewed on deviantArt
Just a quick note to let you know that I've made a tumblr blog for us! I'll be reposting all the author's header posts from this community over there, so you should all get some more circulation for your fics that way (although it would certainly help if those of you who are on tumblr signal boost the blog itself by reblogging this post - and any of the other GBBs that you like!). Authors, if you prefer (and have a tumblr account), you can post the header post there as well as here yourself, using the submit option. If you've a banner image you might want to choose the 'image' post type (rather than text or link) and add the header info as the image caption. Remember to check the formatting, because LJ doesn't need <p></p>s but tumblr does.
To all of you - it'd be a great help if you could let me know your tumblr names, if you have them, so that I can link to you in the posts! Email me, or comment on this post, or send me an ask (I'm whitmerule on tumblr) to let me know. Some of you I do know, but my memory for keeping track of people across different platforms is terrible, so just give me the benefit of the doubt and send me your name so that then I can pretend I knew all along. :)
Best of luck with posting,
Pairing (if any): mentions of Gabriel/Ezekiel
Word count: 16,412
Warnings/Spoilers: Lots of Norse lore, religion and mythology
Summary: Gabriel has been out of Heaven for five years now and living a fairly good life in the Nord Kingdom since, the Host just don't know it yet. The universe hates him, though and decides to make him cross paths with Balthazar, one of the few that would be able to see through his disguise. On top of that, that goes without saying he needs a new vessel fast, one nobody will recognize and he's been told Loki's the only one who can—will—help. How rejoicing.
Story masterpost (including the rest of the verse and link to AO3)
So, this might be helpful:
* Authors, remember how having your story betaed is in the rules for the challenge? Yep, it's still a requirement to have those babies betaed. I made a whole post about beta-finding back in February! By now you SHOULD have had it betaed, but if you don't, it's probably late for a proper beta job. Nevertheless, you CAN still find somebody to at least proof-read it. This is a basic courtesy to your readers and also makes people far more likely to read it - I know I'm not the only person who'll get a couple of paragraphs in and decide that struggling through 15k+ poorly edited words isn't really a good way to spend the short amount of time per day that I can afford to dedicate to fandom, when there are so many other great fics out there.
* Your story/artwork must be posted in its completion on your assigned day, as defined by the "so long as it's that date somewhere in the world" principle.
* There will be three posts per story: the art masterpost which is posted by the artist on their own website, the story masterpost which is posted by the author on their own website, and the header post, which is posted by the author on this community and contains header information and links to both other posts. All three posts should go live on your assigned day.
* The art masterpost - The artwork should be posted on your own website - eg, deviantart, tumblr, whatever cool kids use these days, I am bad at art so I do not know. It should contain the basic story info (title, pairings, author, the fact that it's for this challenge) and a link to the story (that is, to the story masterpost), in whatever format you like - you can put a lot more information in there if you like! It should also contain all the full-sized art.
* The story masterpost - This is the main post that you make on your website of choice for your story - eg, on AO3, the url for the story itself, or on LJ, a main page with all the header info and links to all the chapters. The story should be posted to your own LJ or website. Full stories should not be posted to this community. For stories, we prefer LJ, AO3, dreamwidth or, at a pinch, fanfiction.net. Tumblr isn't great because as a model it's designed for impermanence and short posts: if you change your name somewhere down the road, or delete your account, people following the link from here won't be able to find your story anymore, whereas AO3 etc are better set up for permanency. Plus it's really really hard to read long posts on most tumblr pages! Obviously, feel free to post it to your tumblr as well, but please, not ONLY tumblr.
* The header post - This is what the author posts in this comm, including the links to the artwork. This post will include the header and links to your story, wherever it may be (possibly multiple links, if you use multiple sites). It will also include links to the artwork.
* Authors: It is helpful to discuss with your artists ahead of time when you want to post on your assigned day, so that they can have a link to their art masterpost or website to you beforehand. Communication is good - especially if you're in different time zones! You might also want to incorporate their art into your own posts, of course, which again will take a little forethought and organisation. Even if you don't, remember to also include a link to the art masterpost, so all your readers can find it and lavish praise on your artist!
* Authors, also: If you're posting on AO3, you might want to consider (optionally!) including your work in the 'Gabriel Big Bang' collection I've created there - details below on how to do that, if you don't know. Works from previous years are welcome too.
* I will go through after the last fic is posted and create a masterpost for this year's fic.
* Authors: Please use the following template when posting your story header post here. Under the 'author' or 'artist' heading, you can include your username / url for any site, or multiple sites - LJ, AO3, tumblr, etc - if you want people to be able to find you in all those places. It'd be very handy for me if you'd put your tumblr name so that I can link to you on tumblr when I post there. Check with your artist to which name(s) they want here.
* We are allowing you to post a banner with your story header here on the comm. Image size must be NO larger than 350x350. Failure to comply with this rule will ensure your post is deleted without warning.
* Please tag your entry with the "2014 Big Bangs" tag! This will help us keep track of all the stories for when we create the Masterpost at the end.
And that's it! If you have questions, as always, feel free to ask and we will get back to you ASAP.
The AO3 collection
The collection can be found over here.
Remember, you can only make your fic public on your posting date, but after that, you can add it to the community immediately or at any time. This of course makes it easier for Gabriel fans to find your work later.
Whether you're creating a new fic or you've already posted your fic there, it's easy enough to add it to the collection - either click on the 'add to collections' button down the bottom of the fic, or used the 'post to collections/challenges' in the 'edit/create work' page.
The collection name is "Gabriel Big Bang" (complex, I know).
Please note that all fics ever written for GBB are welcome in the AO3 collection, including fics from previous years. Even if you didn't participate this year, do feel free to add previous years' fics to the collection! The more the merrier.
GBB Round Four Posting Schedule
Under the cut, you’ll find the posting schedule of the Fourth Annual Gabriel Big Bang, but please take a moment to read first.
If the date assigned to you doesn’t work at all for you, you may ask to be moved to one of the dates that currently has no story assigned, but we’d like to keep these changes to a minimum. Please make sure with your partner(s) (your artist(s) if you’re a writer and your writer if you’re an artist) that they are okay with the change before asking us. For those two authors who are also artists, I've placed your posting dates as far apart as possible, with your stories coming first - let me know if you'd prefer that swapped so that art comes first.
DO NOT post anywhere before your assigned date. You may post your story under f-lock at your journal so that you can get links sorted out, or whatever the equivalent is for whichever site you're posting on (I suppose for AO3 it'd be creating a story but not putting the text in), but otherwise, please refrain from unlocking or otherwise publishing your story until your date.
Further posting instructions will follow at a later date, but the basic premise is that your story or artwork should be posted on your own journal/AO3 account/deviantart/other site - preferably not tumblr because tumblr is terrible for permanent links, and difficult to read long posts on. Only the header info and links should be posted here! If you want more detail now you can look at last year's posting instructions, but be aware that some of that might change (and of course the dates are wrong), so make sure you check again when I make the post.
Artists, remember your rough drafts are due April 6th! Submission guidelines are still here.
Okay, all that being said, here it is!
( Gabriel Big Bang Posting ScheduleCollapse )